Saturday 28 July 2018

Of cat women and dog men

I’ll never forget the taxi driver who, after apparently enjoying a half hour conversation with me (and taking half the fee I had earned singing in the West End all evening in an extortionate fare back to Hackney), snidely enquired as to how many cats I had.

He hit me with it as I was standing by his window shuffling money to give him. It was a deliberate put-down, and it did what it was designed to do; it chagrined me, and shut me up. In that instant, I realised that the interesting conversation I’d thought I had been having with this chap had all been a farce. He’d been humouring me. Waiting to pick his moment to slap me down. I’d been enjoying chatting and winding down after a show. He’d been judging me and marking me down as an unacceptable female.

In that instant, I realised that on the comedown from the gig (and any performer will tell you that can take hours), I had probably talked too much. For a woman anyway. Women aren’t supposed to talk too much about too many things. I had knowledge of and an opinion on a variety of topics from politics to plants. I just had to be single. I must have cats. Possibly 7 or more of them. Despite the slick cocktail dress, my flat probably stank of cat piss.

He was a dog man.

I am a cat woman.

I mean that literally. I believe that half the human race are cat people, and half are dog people. I’m not referring just to furry beast preference. What I mean is that half the world behave like cats, and the other half dog their way through life.

We all know that enthusiastic person who’s up with the lark, always busy, always up for fun times, park, picnics, games, sports, going out. They like cuddling on the sofa with you too, and kissing and holding hands, and big suffocating bear hugs when they see you, and they get quite hurt if you wriggle within their clutches. They’ll get all pouty if you don’t return their emails or their ‘phone calls straightaway too.

Then there are people who are perfectly happy to see you when they see you, but they get on with their lives just fine when you’re not there. They’ll give great advice if you’re worried about stuff. They’ll take you to the doctor if you need a ride, and they’re great company on the rare occasions they find the time to see you, but the rest of the time, you can be forgiven for wondering if they’ve died.

It’s nothing personal.

Any more than it is with cats.

Thing is, though, what sneering men like my cab driver don’t seem to realise is that a cat woman - whether or not she actually rooms with a cat, is very possibly a woman who isn’t going to be a clinging vine. She won’t expect him until she sees him coming, and she won’t hang on to his coat tails when he wants to leave. A cat woman isn’t likely to be needy. She may love, but she’ll give space, too.

Men who make ‘cat lady’ jibes inevitably also
seem to like to bang on about their damned independence. They fight marriage and babies and all the things they think women want from them, but they run a mile from women who choose companionship with a species of animal that one actually has to be pretty adjusted to live with.

What they fail to realise is that a woman who can go without docility, devotion, face-licking, jumping up, and someone trotting after her, probably won’t need it from them, either.

Maybe that’s the problem though. Maybe that’s actually what men who sneer and jeer at women who love and behave like cats are actually worried about. That they won’t be needed. That if a woman loves, but doesn’t need them, that she might stray, and move on to not needing someone else.

For my part, I have to admit that it’s a complete and utter deal breaker if a man says he “hates” cats. It concerns me when someone cannot appreciate an independent creature that doesn’t bolster their ego and do what they want it to do.

As far as I am concerned, it bodes ill for their expectations of me, and I worry that I am only going to let them down and disappoint them. 
 
"Unhand me, woman..." Me and Tigs, Regent's Park, c.1982
(Pic: Gerald Blake)

So ‘ow many cats you got, then?” (arf arf).

Pause.

Actually none right now. £32.50 wasn’t it? Here you go.”

Wot, no tip...?”

Not unless you sit up and beg for it, Rover…

Night night.

© Emmeline Wyndham - 2018